A versatile powerhouse of healthy deliciousness, baked sweet potatoes are pretty much perfect—other than actually having to bake them. Air Fryer Sweet Potato to the rescue!
I first clued into the magic of using the air fryer to cook potatoes via this Air Fryer Baked Potato recipe.
The skin is nicely crisp, the inside is tender and fluffy, the potatoes cook comparatively quickly, and best of all, using the air fryer means you can skip running your oven for an hour+ to make them.
- Sweet potatoes take 40 to 50 minutes to cook in the air fryer at 370 degrees F, which is 10 to 20 minutes faster than they bake in the oven.
- Unlike a conventional oven, the air fryer preheats almost instantly.
- You can keep the oven free. Whether you need your oven for another recipe (perhaps some Baked Chicken Breast to go with that sweet potato), or it’s hot in your kitchen, the air fryer keeps things cool and flexible.
While you might first think of air fryer sweet potatoes as a side, they also make a fantastic base for easy, healthy meals.
You can top bake sweet potatoes off with Crockpot BBQ Chicken, a Mexican-inspired combo of black beans, salsa, and avocado, or try the Hawaiian or breakfast sweet potatoes from The Well Plated Cookbook.
I have even more ideas for how to serve your air fryer sweet potato below.
More Oven-Free Ways to Cook a Sweet Potato
How to Make Air Fried Sweet Potatoes
An air fried sweet potato is simple and scrumptious.
Keep a few sweet potatoes on hand, and you’ll have a healthy side dish any time you need it.
You don’t even need to wrap sweet potatoes in foil for air frying! (Do poke holes to allow steam to escape).
- Sweet Potatoes. These air fryer potatoes are sweet and tender on the inside, crisp on the outside, and packed with fiber, potassium, and vitamins. They’re an ideal base for sweet or savory toppings!
- Olive Oil. While you can air fry sweet potatoes without oil, I like to add it because even a small amount helps crisp the skin and adds flavor.
- Scrub and dry the potatoes, then poke them with a fork. Rub the outsides with oil (or make your air fryer sweet potatoes with no oil).
- Air fry sweet potatoes at 370 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool, cut a slit in the top, fluff with a fork, and add your favorite toppings. DIG IN!
- To Store. Refrigerate sweet potatoes in an airtight storage container for up to 1 week.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Wrap sweet potatoes in plastic wrap and freeze them in an airtight freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Up to 1 day in advance, scrub and dry the sweet potatoes.
Ways to Top Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Chicken. If these top-rated Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes are any indication, shredded chicken is a slam-dunk sweet potato topping. Crockpot Mexican Chicken would be yummy too.
- Butter. A crowd-pleasing classic! For a truly scrumptious topping, try butter and a drizzle of maple syrup or cinnamon and brown sugar (and please invite me over).
- Bacon. Loaded air fryer sweet potatoes, please! Add sour cream, Baked Bacon in the Oven, chives, and cheese.
- Black Beans. Black beans taste wonderful with sweet potatoes. These Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans and Quinoa and 5 Ingredient Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are two of our favorite healthy meals!
- Chili. For a hearty and cozy air fryer baked sweet potato healthy dinner, spoon Healthy Turkey Chili over the top.
- Pizza. Use your air fryer sweet potato as the base for your favorite pizza toppings. Add marinara or Basil Pesto, cheese, and other ingredients you enjoy (like Sautéed Mushrooms, Roasted Tomatoes, or Roasted Garlic).
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
The Best Air Fryer
With an extra-large basket and multiple cooking functions, this air fryer is worth a spot in your pantry.
How sweet it is!
Frequently Asked Questions
Enjoy leftover air fryer sweet potatoes for breakfast by serving a fried egg and avocado on top. You can also scoop out the sweet potato flesh and use it for my Whole30 Breakfast Bowls.
Poking holes in your sweet potato allows steam to escape while it’s cooking, which helps ensure the perfect texture and keeps it from exploding (although this rarely happens, it doesn’t hurt to be on the safe side).
FOR THE AIR FRYER SWEET POTATOES:
- TO STORE: Refrigerate sweet potatoes in an airtight storage container for up to 1 week.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Wrap sweet potatoes in plastic wrap and freeze them in an airtight freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Serving: 1potato (of 2)Calories: 230kcalCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 4gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gPotassium: 762mgFiber: 7gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 32063IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 68mgIron: 1mg
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.