Do you ever start your day, look down for what feels like only an hour to two, then POOF! The day has flown by and, for some reason or another, you are still expected to arrive home and cook dinner?! The reverse happens too: the day is long and exhausting, and the idea of preparing a meal from start to finish can be overwhelming. Save yourself time, stress, and hanger: prepare meals ahead of time with these Healthy Crock Pot Chicken Recipes.
This collection of simple, flavorful, and comforting chicken recipes will help keep your evenings running smoothly and allow you to slow down to enjoy a healthy, delicious meal at the end of a busy day.
Chicken is universally beloved and as versatile as an ingredient can be.
Chicken is mild enough to take on any flavor and pass picky eater inspection. It’s fairly inexpensive and widely available.
While being low in calories and fat, chicken is also high in protein. Many of these are low calorie slow cooker chicken recipes, so for those in the market, you’ll find excellent healthy slow cooker chicken recipes for weight loss.
Using the slow cooker helps keep prep and cleanup a breeze. Plus, hours of cooking give the flavors ample time to come together and creates delectable results (just like with these Crockpot Soups).
On this list of healthy crock pot chicken recipes, you’ll find everything from soups to casseroles to takeout-inspired dishes. Each has been a hit in our home, and as the reviews can attest, many of yours too!
Whether you’re looking for easy, healthy, slow cooker meal prep recipes for one or for a crowd, this list has a recipe for you!
To make browsing these healthy crock pot chicken recipes as easy as possible, I have organized them into categories for you. If you would like to quickly jump to any given section, simply click the appropriate link below. Otherwise, keep scrolling to see them all!
Before we dive in, let’s cover the basics of crock pot chicken recipes.
How to Cook Chicken in the Slow Cooker
When done correctly, slow cooked chicken is delicious! It will soak up any sauce that you cook it with and become tender and moist. Follow these tips to make sure your chicken turns out perfectly cooked and juicy every time.
Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
- It is perfectly safe to cook raw chicken in your slow cooker, but you must thaw the chicken first. Do not put frozen chicken in a slow cooker. During cooking, it could spend too long at room temperature, which could render it unsafe to eat.
- If you have no choice but to cook with frozen chicken (I know the feeling of panic when you forget to thaw the meat beforehand), try one of my Instant Pot chicken recipes, which are safe to make with frozen chicken.
- No Instant Pot? To quickly and safely thaw chicken, fill a bowl with cold water, place your chicken in a ziptop bag, and submerge the bag into the water for 15 to 30 minutes (if your water warms up, refill with fresh cold water). Repeat until the meat is thawed.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Chicken in the Slow Cooker?
- While I suggest referencing each specific recipe for the best timing, boneless, skinless chicken breasts typically needs about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours cooked on HIGH or 6 to 8 hours cooked on LOW.
- The cook time will vary based upon the size of your pieces of chicken. Most of these recipes use 10-to-12 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6-ounce boneless, skinless thighs.
- Timing will also depend on whether you choose to make bone-in or boneless chicken recipes. Slow cooker boneless chicken breast recipes are usually the fastest; Chicken thighs (especially bone-in thighs) will take longer to cook than a chicken breast.
- The best way to check your crock pot chicken for doneness is by using an Instant Read Thermometer. When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, it’s safe to eat.
What Can You Cook in a Slow Cooker?
- SO many things! I love using my slow cooker for healthy meals, and I’m constantly trying to find delicious, foolproof ways to make new recipes with it (I’ve even compiled this list of my Best Crock Pot Recipes for Any Meal). Stir fries, casseroles, soups, even pastas—the possibilities are limited only by your imagination.
- If you want proof of my slow cooker fandom (besides the below list of healthy crock pot chicken recipes), peruse the DOZENS of healthy slow cooker recipes on my blog.
Tips to Store, Reheat, and Freeze Healthy Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- To Store. Each recipe will have specific storage instructions and recommendations, but most of these healthy crock pot chicken recipes can be stored in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. In general, you can usually gently rewarm a slow cooker chicken recipe in a medium-sized saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat, adding a splash of broth or milk as needed if the recipe seems to be drying out. You can also reheat them in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate until heated through.
- To Freeze. Place cooked and cooled leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Most of these healthy crock pot chicken recipes can be frozen, but I suggest checking your specific recipe for instructions and tips.
What to Serve with Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
While many crock pot chicken recipes are a complete meal by themselves, here are a few ideas of what you could serve with them:
- Vegetables. No matter which recipe you choose, veggies like this Roasted Zucchini, Sautéed Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Butternut Squash, or Sautéed Cabbage make a healthy side dish.
- Salad. A light, fresh, and versatile salad like Anytime Arugula Salad, Caesar Shaved Brussels Sprouts , or Strawberry Spinach Salad goes well with any recipe.
- Bread. If you’re making a slow cooker chicken soup recipe (or any recipe with a yummy sauce!), bread is always a great option to sop up the flavors. Try this tasty Crock Pot Bread. Naan bread is excellent for Indian recipes, and we love pita bread for Mediterranean recipes.
- Rice. Perfect for stir fries and curries. I like brown rice, which is a healthy whole grain.
- Cauliflower Rice. An easy way to make your crock pot chicken low carb.
For even more yummy and recipe-specific side dish ideas, click to view each individual recipe.
Recommended Tools to Make Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Programmable Slow Cooker. I like this one because it switches to “keep warm” at the end of the cooking time to deter overcooking.
- Instant Read Thermometer. The best, most accurate way to know when the chicken is cooked through.
- Cutting Board. My new favorite with TONS of space! This no-slip cutting board is phenomenal as well.
- Ladle. Much more efficient than a spoon for transferring healthy crock pot chicken recipes to bowls, plates, or storage containers.
- Sharp Chef’s Knife. Perfect for chopping any and all ingredients.
- Small Whisk. Perfect for whisking any sauce or slurry ingredients for these crock pot chicken recipes.
Now, let’s walk through our BEST slow cooker chicken recipes!
Each of these chicken dishes includes vegetables and chicken for a well-rounded, healthy lunch or dinner. Make these recipes ahead for easy and budget-friendly meal prep!
When you’re craving Mexican flavor, these crock pot chicken recipes are the healthy answer! Each recipe can be customized to include your favorite mix-ins and toppings.
Skip takeout, and try one of my lightened-up versions of your favorite chicken dish at home. Healthy swaps make each one better for you without sacrificing the flavors you love. These are always a hit!
You can make delicious Indian food with rich flavors in your own home with these easy crock pot chicken recipes. Serve with rice or naan for a restaurant-quality meal!
These healthy and popular crock pot chicken recipes were made for easy dinners! From family favorites like buffalo chicken and BBQ chicken to restaurant-worthy Greek chicken, readers rave about how simple and delicious these are.
Cozy crock pot chicken soups are the best recipes for hectic days. Life seems to slow down with each warm bite of these scrumptious soups. I love making a big batch and freezing them for later.
If you try one of these healthy crock pot chicken recipes, I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. I always love hearing from you♥
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.