Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie is our most-lored family dessert. We refer to it as “Strawberry Super Pie” or even just “The Pie.”
With its pecan shortbread cookie crust, luscious sweet cream cheese layer, and jammy topping of fresh strawberries and strawberry glaze, it is truly out of this world!
This strawberry cream pie recipe has reached such an elevated status that whenever someone mentions they are going to make it, the entire family spends weeks anticipating it.
Like a true hero, this fresh strawberry pie never disappoints.
You’ll need to do a little planning to make this strawberry cream pie—the shortbread crust needs to bake and cool, the cream needs to be whipped and folded into the cream cheese, the strawberries arranged on top—but the steps are straightforward.
And the reward? Magnificent.
I’ve had numerous friends make this strawberry cream pie for family occasions and now their own families insist they bake it every year too.
Between the nutty crust, creamy filling, and bursting berry top, this strawberry cream pie will make you a legend too!
5 Star Review
“I just made your pie last night and we had it after dinner today….absolutely delicious! My husband was a big fan and is on his way to the fridge for another piece!”
— Poonam —
How to Make Strawberry Cream Pie
Let’s discuss the essential components that make this strawberry cream pie the superlative of the strawberry pie world.
Each is remarkable on its own, but once united, these dreamy layers are nothing short of supernatural.
Keys to the Most Supreme Strawberry Cream Pie
- Fresh Strawberries. To make strawberry pie filling from scratch, you need just four ingredients: fresh strawberries, sugar, water, and cornstarch (to thicken the pie and make sure it isn’t runny). Cook them together on the stove, then let cool.
For the best-tasting, most intensely fresh, and berry-licious pie, be sure to use top-quality strawberries. They make the pie shine! If you can find some homegrown at the farmers market, snatch them up to make this beauty.
- Whipped Vanilla Cream Cheese Layer. This tucks underneath the strawberry layer and features real-deal, from-scratch whipped cream, folded together with sweetened cream cheese. It. Is. EPIC. A 1,000% upgrade from strawberry cream pie with sweetened condensed milk or strawberry cream pie with vanilla pudding.
- Pecan Shortbread Cookie Crust. So melt-in-your-mouth marvelous, Ben once requested that I bake a second one separate from the pie so that he could add more crust on top.
- For the crust: Stir the crust dry ingredients together, then pour in the butter.
- Mix the crust ingredients together with a fork.
- Press the mixture into a buttered pie dish. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Make the from scratch strawberry filling in a saucepan on the stove.
- Boil for 1 to 2 minutes, then slowly add the food coloring (if you like). Remove from the heat.
- For the whipped cream cheese layer: Whip the heavy cream in one bowl then gently fold into the beaten sweetened cream cheese.
- Spread the whipped cream cheese into the crust and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Arrange fresh strawberries over the cream cheese filling. Spoon the strawberry glaze over the top.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. DIG IN!
- To Store. Cover and refrigerate the pie for up to 5 days (it never lasts that long).
- To Freeze. Wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap, and freeze it for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving. The strawberries may be a little liquidy once thawed, but the pie will still taste delicious.
Make Ahead Tip
Each layer of this pie must be sufficiently chilled before the pie can be assembled.
For ease of preparation, make the crust, cream filling, and strawberry topping the day before, refrigerate them separately overnight, then assemble and chill the pie the next morning.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Pie Dish. Ideal for making this strawberry pie.
- Saucepan. A must-have kitchen tool.
- Mixing Bowls. This set of stackable bowls are dishwasher-safe.
The Best Cast Iron Skillet
Whether you’re making sweet or savory pie, this beautiful pie dish is the perfect vessel.
Please do yourself a favor and treat yourself to this supreme strawberry cream pie as soon as you can get your hands on the season’s juicy fresh strawberries.
A slice will make you feel like you have super powers of your own!
For the Pecan Shortbread Crust:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered confectioner’s sugar
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted (1 ½ sticks)
For the Fresh Strawberry Topping:
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, divided and hulled (do not slice prior)
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Several drops red food coloring (about 5-7, depending on your berries)
For the Whipped Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature (I used reduced fat Neufchatel. Just don’t use fat free.)
- ¾ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup powdered confectioner’s sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a deep 10-inch pie dish and set aside.
Make the crust: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, powdered sugar, and pecans. Pour in melted butter.
Mix by hand until combined
Press into the prepared dish. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow to cool completely to room temperature, so as not to melt the cream filling.
Fresh Strawberry Topping: Mash enough strawberries to make 1 cup (I found it helps to slice them into fairly small pieces first. The mash will be a little chunky, but the berries should be fairly well broken down. Do not puree.) Place mashed berries in a small saucepan with the water. In a small, separate bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch, then add all at once to berries.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Add the food coloring a few drops at a time, until you reach a nice strawberry hue (mashing the berries dulls their color, and the food coloring makes for a more appealing finished product). Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely. (Again, you will melt the cream layer if you rush it).
Cut tops off of remaining strawberries. The top of each berry will be flat and the rest of the berry should be left whole, allowing the berry to “stand” on its top with the tip up. Set aside.
Make the Whipped Cream Cheese Filling: Whip the heavy cream in a large mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a smaller bowl and set aside.
Place the cream cheese in the now empty larger bowl (no need to wash it), and beat gently until smooth. Add the powdered sugared a few tablespoons at a time and incorporating after each, then add vanilla. Continue to beat until completely smooth.
Carefully fold in whipped cream.
Spread the whipped cream cheese filling into the cooled pecan shortbread crust and refrigerate for a half-hour.
When crushed berry topping is cool and the crust and cream filling have chilled, arrange the reserved berries with the cut-sides down and tips pointing upward on top of the cream layer. The berries will look like they are “standing” on the cream filling. Start at the outside and place berries side by side in a circle, moving inward, until the cream surface is covered (some cream will show through.)
Carefully spoon the cooled fresh strawberry topping over the pie, using a small spoon to dribble it between each berry. The cream layer should be completely covered, but do not overfill, as extra topping will simply slop over the side. Save any leftover topping for toast, waffles, ice cream, or go at it with a spoon.
Chill for at least two hours or overnight. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- TO STORE: Cover and refrigerate the pie for up to 5 days.
- TO FREEZE: Wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap, and freeze it for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving. The strawberries may be a little liquidy once thawed, but the pie will still taste delicious.
Serving: 1(of 8)Calories: 644kcalCarbohydrates: 66gProtein: 6gFat: 41gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 104mgPotassium: 310mgFiber: 4gSugar: 40gVitamin A: 1176IUVitamin C: 67mgCalcium: 80mgIron: 2mg
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.